Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Griffon in France Reports

Andrew Needham, a French major, has been abroad in France for the semester. Here is news from the continent:



My experience here in France... where to begin, there is a lot to say! I have really enjoyed my time here in Angers and being so close to Paris is really quite nice. Angers is a nice city that is neither too big nor too small; it simply is just the right size.


The university campus is nicely plotted outside the Centre Ville and there is a beautiful lake just behind the dorms for running, walking, picnics, etc… I will say that when I first arrived in my dorm room, I felt a bit cramped, but when I realized where I was and that a train to virtually anywhere in Europe was just 15 minutes away, I was quite comfy with my accommodations. Having one’s own bathroom is probably the biggest plus in the dorms; it is so incredibly nice to have a private bathroom that you don’t have to worry about sharing with anyone else.

The weather is neither too hot nor too cold here; it’s practically perfect every day. One of my favorite things to do is get a couple of friends together, hang out in my room and open wide my window as we chat and listen to music. Coming to Angers has been and is one of the most rewarding experiences for me. Being immersed in the French culture has helped my French so much and the university makes sure not to place too many foreign exchange students in one hall or building, so you are constantly surrounded by French people.

Studying in Angers is incredibly affordable and if you save up money before coming, there are hundreds of options for your breaks from class. The stipend that one receives from MWSU is more than enough to live off of and also gave me enough money to visit my sisters in the Dolomite Mountains in Italy to go snowboarding! Coming to Angers has been one the best decisions I’ve ever made and it opened the door for me to do and see so many things around Europe!

No comments: